BOARD TRACK BICYCLES : GIANT TRANCE BIKES : BIKE TIRES REVIEWS.
Board Track Bicycles
- (Track bicycle) A track bicycle or track bike is a bicycle optimized for racing at a velodrome or outdoor track. Unlike road bicycles, the track bike is a fixed-gear bicycle and so has a single gear and neither freewheel nor brakes.
- a committee having supervisory powers; "the board has seven members"
- A long, thin, flat piece of wood or other hard material, used for floors or other building purposes
- get on board of (trains, buses, ships, aircraft, etc.)
- A thin, flat, rectangular piece of wood or other stiff material used for various purposes, in particular
- The stage of a theater
- a stout length of sawn timber; made in a wide variety of sizes and used for many purposes
Board Track Bicycle Race Lighthouse Point Park New Haven, Connecticut
A weekend race during the early 1900s. The well dressed schoolboys flocked to watch these events. Lighthouse Point was the site of a major harbor light. By the early 1900s the surrounding grounds were gradually evolving into a large recreational area and amusement park. Old postcards dating from before 1918 show well dressed couples strolling along festive lamp lit paths in the summer evenings.
By the 1950s, the board track was already long gone and no evidence of it was left. All that remained of the early park attractions was a huge and lovely carousel with hand carved and hand painted wooden horses and other exotic animals. Some would rise and drop on their individual pole mounts as the carousel turned. The original pipe organ had been replaced by more modern loudspeakers which still piped in the traditional music. This was housed in a massive wooden building with large multi-paned windows placed high off the ground. Descending into neglect and lack of repair, this too had later disappeared. However, I have heard reports of more recent restoration efforts.
As a child, I was always frightened by the wild and ferocious expressions carved onto the faces of the animals. The carousel seemed to rotate dangerously fast and the tinny sounding music was always very loud echoing within the cavernous building. Vendors still sold spun sugar "cotton candy" and cold beverages and hot dogs near the carousel building. The park, now owned by the State, would close at twilight. So, nothing of the pleasant evenings of the bygone era was even remembered, those 40 years later.
The main attraction was strolling along the rocky shoreline, swimming at the lifeguard monitored beaches, or family picnics grilling hotdogs and burgers among the many acres of randomly placed picnic tables set under the shade of smaller locust trees or certain oaks which could survive in the rocky soil and windy salt air.
Board Track Racer Left Side
My attempt at re-creating the vintage Boardtrack Racer look. Just added the set-back seat and oil tank. Started with a Worksman bike frame, which was stretched and a bottom loop added.
cool cruiser bicycles
bike tubes 700c
womens dirt bikes
balloon tire bike
electra bicycle bells
haro team issue bike
bike basket for sale
| HOME |